A great spring take on traditional bread and butter pudding, perfect for Easter lunch.
Must have accessory:
- 4 hot cross buns
- Low fat margarine
- 1 orange, zest of
- Demerara sugar
- 450ml semi-skilled milk
- 2 eggs
- Gas: Roast/Medium heat
- Charcoal: Roast/Medium heat
Weber® Premium BBQ Gloves
- Preheat the barbecue to a medium/high indirect heat (180C). Slice the buns horizontally into three slices and butter one side of each slice.
- Grease four large ramekin dishes with a little butter. Place the first slice of hot cross bun on the base and sprinkle with sugar and orange zest. Repeat with the second slice and then add the top of the bun and sprinkle with just the sugar. Make sure you save some of the sugar and orange zest and repeat for the remaining three puddings.
- Place the eggs, milk and cream in a bowl and whisk to mix thoroughly. Pour equally over the puddings.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes over an indirect heat, or until the top is golden. Serve with ice cream, or clotted cream.
- For variety try 4 tablespoons of marmalade instead of the orange zest and sugar.