If you’re looking to make an impression, these berry waffles are the perfect dish.
In the kitchen:
- Combine the flour, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla sugar in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Whisk the milk gently into the flour mixture with a hand mixer.
- Stir 1 egg at a time into the mixture and add fruit colouring.
- Stir the melted butter into the mixture.
At the barbecue:
- Prepare the barbecue for direct heat, approx. 240-250°C. If using a charcoal barbecue, you will need half a chimney starter of lit briquettes.
- Put the waffle and sandwich iron in the GBS® grate and preheat for approx. 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the four sections of the waffle iron and distribute the mixture so that the entire surface is covered. Close the iron and bake for 1 minute. Then turn the iron through 180 degrees and continue cooking for approx. 1 minute. The waffle only has to be baked until just done in order to achieve a nice reddish-brown colour.
- Serve the baked waffles with whipped cream, fresh berries and maple syrup.
February 8, 2017