The original pizza alla Parmigiana
In the kitchen:
- Knead all the dough ingredients in a food processor. Put the mixture in a glass container, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for about an hour.
- After the dough has at least doubled in volume, move it to the work surface and form into balls weighing about 120g.
- Arrange the balls on a baking tray on greaseproof paper and let them rise again in a warm place for 1-4 hours.
- Wash the aubergine and cut into slices, without peeling them. Deep fry them until nicely brown. Cool them on paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Cut the mozzarella in slices.
- Shred the parmesan using a sharp knife and wash the cherry tomatoes.
- When the dough has risen, flatten a ball of dough on the work surface to form a circle with a regular shape.
- Put on a layer of tomato puree.
- Season with olive oil. Arrange the aubergine on the base, a few slices of mozzarella and some cherry tomatoes.
At the barbecue:
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat, approx. 220°C. If using a charcoal barbecue, you need half a chimney starter of lit briquettes.
- Place the pizza stone on the middle of the cooking grate. Preheat it for about 15 minutes.
- Put the pizza on the stone, close the lid and grill for 16-20 minutes, until the edges are crispy.
- Season with some more drops of olive oil, black pepper, parmigiano cheese slices and basil leaves.
Additional preparation time: 4-5 hours for rising the dough.
January 21, 2016