Challenge yourself with this amazing recipe for roasted duck.
In the kitchen
- Score the duck's skin with a sharp knife diagonally all over, ensuring you don't cut into flesh. Coat the duck in a little vegetable oil, this will help the seasoning to stick to the skin.
- Grate the lemon zest into a bowl then add the garlic granules, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Rub the duck with the seasoning, making sure it's evenly distributed.
- Cut the lemon in half and stuff it inside the cavity, along with the garlic cloves.
At the barbecue
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat - approx. 180°C. If using a charcoal barbecue, you need 1/2 Weber® Rapidfire® Chimney Starter of lit briquettes.
- Place a large dip tray between the coals, or for a gas barbecue place the roast rack into the drip tray.
- Position the cooking grate then place the duck on the roast rack into the drip tray.
- Roast the duck with the lid down for 2 hours until the skin is crips and the core temperature reaches at least 75°C.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Tip: Use the juices and fats collected in the drip tray under the duck to roast some potatoes or vegetables.
May 3, 2016